Embassies in Costa Rica
In the event of an emergency, consular officials can provide support, guidance and other assistance to help you. Here are some of the main embassies in Costa Rica:
• American Embassy: The American Embassy in Costa Rica is located in the capital of San Jose. The building’s address is Calle 120 Avenida 0 in Pavas, and the contact telephone number is (506) 519-2000. To find out more about consular services offered by the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica, you can visit the official website. This site has a range of useful information, from safety and security announcements to data on regional travel programs, like the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
• Canadian Embassy: The official embassy of Canada can be found in La Sabana Executive Business Centre behind the Contraloria General de la Republica in San Jose. Consular officials can be reached by phone at (506) 2242 4400. The official website has detailed information on a number of topics, and should be the first stop for Canadian visitors in need of assistance.
• Mexican Embassy: The Embassy of Mexico is located at Bird. 7a. No. 1371 in San Jose. The main switchboard can be reached at (506) 2234 9171, and the hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The official website has more information on available consular services.
• British Embassy: The U.K. has maintained strong diplomatic ties with Costa Rica for many years, and British citizens who find themselves in need of consular assistance should contact the British Embassy in San Jose. The British Embassy is located at Apartado 815-1007 in Edificio Centro Colon, and the phone number is (506) 2258 2025. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Fridays. See the official website of the British Embassy for more information.
• Spanish Embassy: The Spanish consulate is also located in San Jose, at Calle 32, Paseo Colón y Avenida Segunda. Spanish citizens should call (506) 222 57 45 for general inquiries, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• French Embassy: The Embassy of France in Costa Rica is located at 200 m Sur y 25 m Oeste, Apartado 10177 in San Jose. French tourists can reach the consulate by calling (506) 234 41 67, or checking the official website for travel notifications and other useful information.
• German Embassy: Germany’s embassy can be found at in Sabana Norte, 300 mts oeste del ICE. Check the German Embassy’s website for opening hours and a list of consular services available.
• Italian Embassy: Italian citizens spending time in Costa Rica should contact the Italian Embassy in the event of an emergency. This consulate can be found at 5a entrada Barrio Los Yoses, and the phone number is (506) 224-6574. The official website has more information.
• Chinese Embassy: Chinese nationals who require consular assistance should contact the Chinese Embassy at (506) 2291-4811. The consulate itself is located at De la casa de D. Oscar Arias 100 m al sur y 50 m al oeste in Pavas, San Jose.
• Russian Embassy: The Russian Embassy is also located in San Jose, and can be found at De La Carretera A Cartago, Primera Entrada, 100 m sur. Hours of operation are between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the main switchboard number is (506) 256 9181.
These are just some of the embassies located in Costa Rica. Other countries maintain consulates here, including Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Israel and Poland, to name a few. To find other helpful information about consular services in Costa Rica, and a range of other topics, visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.