Costa Rica Fishing Tournaments
By now you have heard a lot about how good the fishing is in Costa Rica, but how good is it really? With so many fishing spots all over the world there is undoubtedly a difference of opinion when it comes to what qualifies as ‘world class.’
We will tell you all day long that Costa Rica has some of the world’s best fishing, but that is of course because we have years of first-hand experience being immersed in it. If you don’t want to take our word for it, just take a look below at the various international billfish tournaments held in Costa Rica each year. Note that many have been around for over a decade, and the fishing is so consistently good here that they are held throughout the entire year. The most biggest and most famous tournament, the Los Suenos Signature Billfish Series, gave out over $152,000 in cash and prizes – including $51,000 to the top boat in 2012. The three day tournament tallied over 668 billfish, which was an average sixteen billfish released per boat!
- Los Suenos Signature Billfish Series (Los Suenos) – January and March – 10th year in 2013
- Harry Gray Fly Fishing Tournament (Quepos) – January – 13th year in 2013
- Presidential Challenge of Costa Rica (Carillo) – early March – 17th year in 2013
- Presidential Papagayo Cup (Gulf of Papagayo) – June – 4th year in 2013
- Los Suenos Marlin Invitational (Los Suenos) – November – 6th year in 2013
- Quepos Billfish Cup (Quepos) – February – 2nd year in 2013 *Team CRFP took 10th place in 2013!*
In addition to the aforementioned billfish tournaments, there are also a few smaller tournaments throughout the year held by local fishing clubs and tournaments. The more notable ones are the tarpon tournament held in September and October in Tortuguero as well as the guapote (rainbow bass) tournament held near the Nicaraguan border on the Rio Frio. The brand new, state-of-the-art Marina Pez Vela located in Quepos also hosted it’s first annual Maverick Billfish Rodeo in 2013 and is looking to make that a tradition for year to come.
As you can see, the sport fishing in Costa Rica is so good, so consistent, and so diverse that there are literally fishing tournaments held throughout the entire year all over the entire country. With fishing boats and hotels all over the entire country we can follow the seasons like the tournaments do and put you in the right spots at the right time.