San Jose is the capital and largest city in Costa Rica, with more than a third of the country’s entire population living in or around the Central Valley area that extends from Cartago to Alajuela. Home to the economic, cultural and political centers of Costa Rica, this is the place to be for business, culture, and nightlife in Costa Rica. Whether it’s a one night stop to start or end your vacation or a few days, San Jose is the heart of Costa Rica.
San Jose admittedly is not the most aesthetically appealing capital city in Latin America, but there is a new movement and surge of investments aimed at changing that. There are already countless museums, art galleries, theaters, and parks in San Jose, and now high-rise condominiums and top of the line business campuses are a common site as well. In addition the Central Valley is also surrounded by natural beauties such as the Poás, Irazu, Turrialba and Barva volcanoes.
- San Jose is enviable for its mild year round climate, air-conditioning nor furnaces are needed here.
- Coffee plantations in the hills outside of the city surround the capital.
- The National Theater in San José was designed inspired by French architecture and is one of the most visited in Latin America.
- The Juan Santamaría International Airport is quickly becoming a popular hub for worldwide flights and just finished a major remodeling project.
- 4 volcanoes are within an hour drive of the capital, each one with a national park/protected area to enjoy.